Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A bizzare Hairstreak

Hello my victims!Oh,what's that I hear?Your cries of joy for me finally putting a photo on by blog after weeks!?!?!Ohohohoho!!Well then,this butterfly is a hairstreak(strymon melinus)...I think.First of all,this picture was taken after a stream of weird happenings that were purely out of luck.It was almost 5:30 pm,and I was sitting on my swing bored out of my mind when I saw this clump of red and bluish gray shoot into the grass.I went to go see what it was,thinking that it was some kind of beetle(?!?).It was actually two of these guys...Um...Quite frankly,being nasty together.They fell apart and I was stunned,because when I picked both of them up,they didn't fly away.They just kind of sat there.I put both of them down in the place where I wanted to take the picture but one finally flew away and the other fell into the grass.Dang,I thought.A great stoke of luck for a photographer like me gone..I knelt down and ran my fingers through the grass,annoyed.Bingo!I saw a flash of iridescence and I found one of them.I picked her(look,it might of been a he but I'll just call it a female because no one cares)up and put her down."Stay here,"I told her nervously.(Yes,I talk to bugs....)She looked at me like"What the heck?!?"But did what I told her.I ran in and mumbled something to my immobile mom about the camera and grabbed it.I ran out again and took a few shots but all of them sucked,so I ran in again.I needed something...More professional for this.So I went into my brother's room without knocking and grabbed a bigger camera.Ignoring his aggravation I escaped outside and found her waiting for me.I only got to take a few more pictures before she flew away,but this one came out really well.But I'm confused.Most hairstreaks have red and blue markings on the wings,not blue and green.(Oh well,you've got to admit that she's awesome looking)I think this one was basking in the sun when I took this picture because she kept turning sideways,trying to face it.Yes,butterflies bask.Bye then<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment